Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
The Vail Resorts Finance Team is committed to Building Leaders and Driving Value. We are seeking a talented tax executive to lead our global tax department in our corporate headquarters near Boulder, Colorado, to support a growing company of 37 resorts across Australia, Canada and the United States, 55,000+ employees, and a market capitalization of over $9 billion.
The Senior Director, Tax will be responsible for the strategic vision of the global tax department including all aspects of tax planning & research (acquisition, structuring and optimization), tax compliance, acquisition integration and talent development.
This leader will report directly to the CAO and will be a member of the CAO senior leadership team and will lead a team of three tax professionals with the potential to take on additional scope with demonstrated leadership and performance. This leader is primarily responsible for all aspects of tax planning and worldwide tax compliance for Vail Resorts, which includes thought leadership in driving value in mergers and acquisitions, overseeing the preparation of all income tax filings in their respective taxing jurisdictions and responsible for all US GAAP related tax compliance.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESONSIBILITIES
- Continue to develop and implement the organization’s tax strategy and policy, and to direct the overall planning and compliance function for federal, state, local, and international tax laws (Canada, Australia);
- Oversee the quarterly and year-end tax provision and related tax accounts for financial reporting;
- Provide due diligence and structural advice on a variety of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions;
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and SEC requirements by maintaining current knowledge of regulations; advising management on needed actions and communicating with outside advisors to ensure timely tax and SEC reporting requirements;
- Oversee transfer pricing studies for cross-border transactions;
- Oversee cash tax forecasts for corporate budgeting and forecasting, working closely with Vail’s FP&A organization as well as identify and implement tax planning strategies to optimize cash taxes;
- Manage and conduct technical tax research and provide executive-level synthesis to drive decision-making with senior leaders;
- Lead, develop and inspire the corporate tax team towards high performance, talent development and acquisition, and best practices;
- Play a critical role on the CAO’s leadership team, bringing an enterprise-level perspective to support the strategic, talent and process improvement efforts in the Finance organization;
- Drive and implement best practices in the global tax function to support Vail’s continued growth and expansion both through organic initiatives as well as through our acquisition strategy;
- Work with and support the needs of businesses and internal stakeholders;
- Oversee domestic and foreign tax audits and audit protests to defend tax positions and negotiate favorable outcomes;
- Leadership qualities:
- Trusted partner: possesses the technical expertise, communication skills and good judgement to provide Company executives and the finance leadership team with an objective and independent point of view. Has a proven track record of working well as a member of a team of senior executives, an ability to influence major decisions through reasoned analysis, and good judgment about people and business issues.
- Leadership and management: demonstrated track record of leading, motivating, developing and assessing a team of high performing finance professionals. Leads by example, possesses a strong work ethic, is collaborative and embraces a passion and results driven leadership model. Has high self-awareness, is decisive and maintains authentic humility. Possesses energy, drive and an ability to execute. Is flexible, agile and resilient, and has the ability to adapt quickly in a rapid-paced executive level environment. Embraces personal leadership development, with an openness to stretch and pursue leadership range and flexibility.
- Passion for Vail Resorts’ business strategy and product.
- Approach & Behavior—cultural characteristics:
- Strong learning agility. Enjoys and excels in environments where s/he must tackle and solve new and increasingly complex strategic business challenges and issues—incorporating the newest ideas, technologies, and approaches to business.
- A brave, ambitious, and passionate leader who is comfortable in his/her own skin while also demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Minimum 15+ years of U.S. federal, state and international corporate tax experience, either in-house with U.S. multinational corporations or in public accounting, preferably Big Four. Ideally a combination of both CPA firm and industry experience.
- Outstanding academic credentials; Bachelor’s degree in tax or equivalent; CPA, Masters in tax or J.D. in tax required.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of regulatory reporting requirements and the ability to manage large, multiple, time sensitive projects.
- Strong knowledge of current tax rules, U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting.
- Broad understanding of U.S. corporate tax law with ability to develop tax strategy globally.
- Demonstrated ability to handle a broad range of tax matters arising in diverse jurisdictions.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills including making presentations to senior leadership.
- Preferred skills:
- Unflappable executive presence and ability to remain “calm under fire.”
- High intellect and ambition.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity.
- Excellent listener and open to feedback.
- Secure in own skin and in leadership approach.
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Focus on people development.
- Collaborative team player.
- Effectively manage and build capabilities and culture for high performing professional team.
We offer a variety of career opportunities at our world-class resorts and corporate headquarters near Boulder, Colorado in fields like Finance & Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Legal, Public Affairs & Sustainability, Marketing, Sales & Communications and more. Our corporate team shares both a passion for the outdoors and a drive to re-imagine the mountain resort experience around the world. Learn more at www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 213429