Live, Work, & Explore with amazing people. Memories made will last a lifetime. HOUSING PROVIDED!
Why join our adventurous and fun work family?
Are you enthusiastic about adventure, exploring, and a change of pace? Turn a hiking train into an amazing career path! . . and with us!
Why Xanterra? Our family of passionate people is seeking someone who is just as passionate as us. As our employee, you receive extremely affordable employee housing, discounted meals, employee discounts to explore other Xanterra properties, and a generous benefits program for eligible employees. Just ask!
Oh yes, and about the job....
START DATE: As soon as possible
Join our Culinary team at Grand Canyon National Park! Enthusiastic about crafting an extraordinary dining experience? Grand Canyon National Park Lodges is looking for individuals who will create or serve an incredible culinary experience for our guests. Discover one beautiful adventure. The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is the most visited location in the park with breathtaking views, slick rock plateaus and lush forests. As our employee, you receive extremely affordable employee housing, discounted meals, employee discounts to explore other Xanterra properties and a generous benefits program for full time employees.
JOB SUMMARY: Our Restaurant Chef is responsible for the daily operations of the Bright Angel kitchens, providing professional leadership and direction to kitchen personnel. Ensure that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet company specifications and commitment to quality. Maintain a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen. Demonstrate this by example, using proper food-handling techniques.
As our employee, you receive extremely affordable employee housing, discounted meals, employee discounts to explore other Xanterra properties and a generous benefits program for eligible employees. By working with Xanterra Travel Collection amongst the beauty of Grand Canyon National Park, this is your chance to Live, Work, and Explore in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
- Oversee all food preparation in a high volume, multi-unit food service operation, maintaining quality and productivity to company standards.
- Manage a staff of approximately 80 employees in peak season. Oversee and give input on all aspects of employee performance: Training, performance evaluation, coaching, corrective action process and promotions.
- Oversee the scheduling of all kitchen employees in accordance with business levels, labor budget and staffing levels.
- Oversee the ordering, storage and inventory of all food and kitchen operating supplies.
- Manage kitchen expenses through diligent attention to budgeted food costs and kitchen loss control.
- Make recommendations for unit kitchen equipment purchases.
- Manage the organization of daily specials and banquet/group menus.
- Maintain a collaborative working relationship with the Bright Angel Unit Manager and Assistant Operations Manager in managing daily operations.
- Assist the Restaurant Managers as needed.
- Handle administrative tasks and paperwork related to personnel in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure the kitchen area and operations meet health and safety requirements, as dictated by the US Department of Public Health and company standards
- Ensure that all facility and equipment maintenance requests are reported promptly; follow-up on requests that are not addressed in a timely manner. Update equipment log on a weekly basis.
- Administration of all safety related programs, policies, procedures for kitchen employees.
- Project a commitment to Xanterra South Rim’s environmental policies.
- Responsible for correcting all National Park Service Concessions and Public Health Service noted discrepancies within the assigned abatement period.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years culinary management experience in a high volume ala carte dining or institutional establishment with progressive cooking/menu development.
- Associates or Bachelor degree from an accredited Culinary Academy or Institute.
- Ability to work and train all kitchen positions: ala carte preparation/presentation, batch cooking, prep work and entry level kitchen positions.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on communicating with employees in the training and production phases of operation.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with Front of House staff, senior F&B Management and guests.
- Experience in menu development, food production records, scheduling employees and inventory/cost controls.
- Ability to pass ServeSafe food sanitation course and train staff on the program.
- Ability to quickly assess and address productivity levels of the cook line, dish area and pantry personnel during any given meal period.
- Ability to use computerized food ordering system, and experience with Word and Excel software as well as FoodTrak inventory software.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards, and correct them immediately.
What's in it for you?
- Lodging Discount50% off Best Available Rate
- 30-40% Retail Discount at Xanterra Parks
- Discounts at Xanterra Adventure Companies
- 20-30% Food and Beverage Discounts at Xanterra Parks
- 15% Verizon Phone Service/Products Discount
- 20-60% Discount on Entertainment through TicketsAtWork.com
- Sam’s Club Membership Discount
- Free Laundry Facilities
- Rec Center- Fitness Equipment, Computers, and Free WiFi
- Paid Day off on Your Birthday with Restaurant & Retail Discounts
- Discounted Mule Rides Each Winter
- Summer Property Olympics
- Free Grand Canyon Railway Train Rides
- Wellness Programs and Health Fairs
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.