Create incredible experiences for guests at the Midwest’s premier winter destination. In the scenic St. Croix River Valley, this big-time resort with a small town feel has converted thousands of first-timers into lifelong skiers and riders. This truly is where Epic begins for skiers of all levels and can be where your epic career begins, too. Become part of the Afton Alps family. www.vailresortscareers.com
Join the Afton Alps Ski and Snowboard School Team. We are hiring PSIA/AASI-certified ski and snowboard instructors for the upcoming season. As an Afton Alps Ski or Snowboard Instructor, you will provide quality ski/snowboard instruction to groups and individuals in a safe and fun manner while upholding all skier safety rules/regulations and Company guidelines.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Uphold the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain with varying winter weather conditions.
- Provide high level customer service to all guests.
- Create and maintain a productive and safe work environment, including the completion of all company mandated safety-related training and assessments.
- Clearly and accurately instruct assigned levels of skiing or snowboarding to students using physical and verbal techniques.
- Assist guests with transportation of equipment.
- Assist guests to load and unload the chairlift.
- When working with children: supervise children in class at all times; assist at lunch and snack times; ensure safe return of children to identified guardian when working with children 12 and under.
- Ensure that students are matched to appropriate skier/snowboarder skill level and working with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes, when necessary.
- Communicate instructions and help guests to their feet during a lesson; lift children by the vest, if applicable.
- Assist in operational responsibilities of Ski & Snowboard programs including (but not limited to) registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Adhere to all policies, rules, and regulations of Vail Resorts and Afton Alps while role modeling the company’s mission, vision and values.
- Other duties including assisting other departments as needed & as assigned.
- Attend Ski and Snowboard School new hire training sessions.
- Current PSIA/AASI Level 3 certification or equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have ability to multi-task
- Must have professionalism and strong guest service skills, attention to detail and timeliness
- Must be willing to work evenings, holidays and weekends, as our business has peak times
- Must work well in a team
- Must demonstrate ability to receive and give direction and act upon it
- Understand basic skiing OR snowboarding terminology
- Must be able to work in inclement winter weather
- Must have ability to communicate fluently with coworkers and guests in English
- Previous ski or snowboard instructor experience
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and internet browser applications.
- Knowledge of local area/resort
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring both adults and children
- Weight Lifted – At least 35 lbs
- Lifting Frequency – Frequent
- Standing Frequency – Frequent
- Walking Frequency – Frequent
- Reaching – Frequent
- Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, Crawl – Frequent
- Work indoors and outdoors
- Serve Others: Own It. Personalize It. Elevate It.
Identifies and take ownership of opportunities to assist the customer; listens and responds to customer needs to personalize the experience; is committed to elevating the customer experience; communicates clearly and effectively; is flexible to adjust plans to meet customers’ changing needs; collaborates with team members and peers; exhibits a service attitude that is engaging with customers.
- Do Right: Act with Integrity – always do the right thing, knowing it leads to the right outcome.
Follows through on commitments; is honest and trustworthy; understands and complies with company policies and procedures; considers stakeholder interests in decision making; takes ownership of actions and decisions; receptive and responsive to others’ feedback; identifies and communicates ethical concerns.
- Drive Value: Grow profit through smart and innovative business practices.
Is a positive advocate for the company; is aware of the impact of decisions and actions on company profitability; works efficiently; completes tasks accurately and manages time well; strives for continual improvement and growth; is open to and suggests new ideas; uses company resources appropriately; demonstrates financial discipline.
- Do Good: Preserve our natural environment and contribute to the success of our local communities.
Has an awareness of the company’s Epic Promise program; considers the environmental and community impact of decisions and actions; takes actions in support of the company’s environmental initiatives; understands the company’s connection with our local communities.
- Be Safe: Be committed to the safety and wellness of our employees and Guests.
Promotes a culture of health and safety; takes personal accountability for the safety of self and others; understands and communicates safety procedures and expectations; utilizes all relevant safety resources; identifies and appropriately reports risk.
- Have Fun: Fun is our product – create fun, enjoy your work and share the contagious spirit.
Shares enthusiasm for our products and services; is able to overcome challenges while maintaining a positive attitude; inspires others and integrates fun into the work environment; is approachable and welcoming to customers; promotes an engaging, inclusive atmosphere.
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 327788