Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
The Ski Patrol Director oversees all aspects of the Professional Ski Patrol at the Resort. This includes staffing, training, budgeting, scheduling, interdepartmental relations, and guest service. The Ski Patrol Director is responsible for ensuring the safety of our on mountain guests and employees, overseeing medical aid, avalanche mitigation work, rope rescue, lift evacuation and avalanche rescue. In addition, the job requires overseeing summertime work to manage and assist in summer operations. The job requires strong leadership and communication qualities, strategic planning and creative problem solving.
- Overall fiscal responsibility for department including department labor and operational supplies.
- Promotes a service culture within the department.
- Ensures facilitation of weekly safety meetings with staff, promotes safety culture, and participates with Vail wide Ski Patrol best practices groups.
- Avalanche hazard forecasting, avalanche mitigation, oversight of explosives, and avalanche rescue.
- Interdepartmental and intradepartmental relations to promote team unity. Assists with the management of outside agency relations with groups such as the US Forrest Service.
- Winter & Summer mountain setup, daily monitoring of conditions and maintenance including trail openings and closures, signage, ropes, and pads. End of season tear down.
- Oversees and implements departmental training programs, schedule of training, training topics and overall safety during training.
- Oversees candidate/apprentice program including budget and staff levels. Oversees testing of candidates to patrol level, forecasting needs for future patrollers.
- Work with other Mountain Operations leaders to establish daily grooming plans, operational priorities and planning.
- Act as “Manager on Duty” as determined by Senior Director of Mountain Operations and General Manager.
- Actively participate in Resort Leadership Team meetings and Daily Operational calls.
- Direct oversight of Accident Investigation team including hiring of team, training, and coordinating with Health and Safety.
- Engage and participate in company-wide leadership development programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited University or equivalent combination of training and experience to compensate a degree program.
- 5 years ski patrol experience, preferably in a Supervisory capacity
- Coordination and direction of out-of-bounds search and rescues and lift evacuation. Coordination of Mass Causality Incident
- Strong guest service attitude
- ICS Training
- EMT-B, CPR
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook, etc.
- Proficient in avalanche rescue operations, avalanche forecasting and mitigation methods
- OSHA blasters license
The budgeted range starts at $67,000 and $81,150 + annual bonus. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
The perks include a free ski pass, and a set of benefits including...
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan
- Hourly employees are generally eligible for accrued Paid Time Off (PTO), Extra Time Off (ETO) and Sick Time. Salaried employees are generally eligible for Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible mothers and fathers
- Healthcare & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
If you’re hard working and feel exhilarated serving others, you’ll feel right at home in our authentic ski town and world-class mountain resort. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, we deliver an experience of a lifetime to every single guest that visits our mountain town. If you’re interested in moving mountains in your career, come work with us at Breckenridge where you’ll instantly feel at home. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 298107