Kirkwood is for those that embrace the big mountain lifestyle and are as passionate about skiing and riding as they are about creating amazing experiences for our guests. Magical, raw and expansive…Kirkwood is the stuff of legend. We’re famous for legendary snowfall, challenging inbounds terrain, backcountry guided tours and premier avalanche education programs. Those that come here come for an adventure unique to Kirkwood! Join our close-knit team working at one of the most stunning alpine resorts in the country. www.vailresortscareers.com
No transportation? Don't want to make the drive? No problem! We have an employee shuttle that runs EVERYDAY from South Lake Tahoe to Kirkwood, free of cost! We encourage all employees who don't want to make the commute themselves to jump on the shuttle, sit back and relax, on their way to work!
As of Nov. 15, 2021, Vail Resorts will be requiring all employees across North America to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
- Skill Level: No certification required (training and access to certification provided & encouraged).
- Starting Wage: As of October 2022, all minimum wages will be $20 an hour.
- Shift Availability: Full & Part Time
We are looking for non-certified ski and snowboard instructors eager to teach beginners, intermediates and above, children and adults, group and private lessons all in a fun, safe and engaging environment. Kirkwood provides that special big mountain feel and if we’re lucky, copious amounts of snow throughout the winter, often referred to as the “K-Factor”! Our tight-knit community is characterized by a level of service, adventure, and fun that our guests and employees can’t help but fall in love with!! The Kirkwood season typically starts at the end of November or early December and runs through the middle of April. We have a robust local community of skiers and riders but we also see guests from all over the world which provides a diverse and exciting mountain experience! You will be working with an equally diverse group of people from all over the country and the world! We would love for you to come share your passion for the mountains, skiing/riding and providing “an experience of a lifetime” to all of our guests. The Non-Certified Ski/Ride Instructor will provide quality instruction to groups and individuals in a safe and fun manner while upholding all California Skier Safety Act rules, regulations and Company guidelines. This position provides the opportunity to support other resort functions if desired.
- Provide the highest quality of ski/snowboard instruction to guests of all ages based on guests individual needs and experience level in a safe and engaging manner.
- Uphold all Vail Resorts vision, mission and values, company and department specific policies, procedures and instructions.
- Arrive fit for work and take responsibility for your personal health and safety as well as adhere to all Vail Resorts’ safety policies including wearing an approved Snowsports helmet while teaching.
- Be punctual, reliable and show up for work in full uniform with an enthusiastic attitude in all weather conditions.
- Uphold the highest levels of safety on varied terrain in a high alpine setting with changing winter weather conditions
- Attend morning meetings, safety meetings and required trainings and be responsible for the information thereof.
- Ensure that students are matched to appropriate skier/snowboarding skill level and work with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Provide a safe and fun learning environment through exceptional class handling and creativity using our teaching handbook as a guide.
- Supervising children and their safety at all times, throughout the entirety of the lesson; assisting at lunch and snack times; ensuring return of children to identified guardian.
- Must be able to explain, instruct and demonstrate the lesson content and teaching models of assigned levels of skiing/riding and evaluate the progress of the lesson with each guest.
- Be willing to help wherever needed throughout the guests’ experience and assorted operational responsibilities of the Ski and Ride School including but not limited to: check in, rentals, meeting and greeting guests at line up, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source or lesson meeting place, assistance with indoor programming, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Understand and abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Resource and Guidelines Manual.
- At least 18 years of age
- High School or Equivalent Education
- Ability to attend all required Ski and Ride training sessions
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and browser applications; basic internet navigation
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language (spoken and written)
- Must have excellent guest service skills
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must successfully complete a Criminal Background Check
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in a high alpine environment
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide directions
- Must be willing to teach both adults and children
- Must be available to work holidays and weekends
- Must be willing to adhere to the Vail Resorts policy of wearing an approved snowsports helmet at all times while teaching.
- Must be willing to teach a family lesson.
- Must possess level 7 or higher skiing/level 6 or higher riding abilities.
- Experience working with guests of all ages
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring
- Previous ski/snowboard instructor experience
- Knowledge of local area/resort
- Second language - Spanish preferred
- Pursue ongoing professional training and development and maintain currency in qualification to provide high-level guest service and a safe and positive snow experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Free EPIC Pass to all of our resorts
- Discounted coupons for friends and family
- Shuttle bus from S. Lake Tahoe to Kirkwood
- Professional development training on your personal skiing / riding as well as certification preparation
- Discounts with select industry manufactures
- Discounted lodging at our Rock Resort Properties starting at $85/night
- Food and beverage discounts at mountain dining locations
- Retail discounts at Vail Resorts Retail stores
- 10-25% off at our Starbucks locations
- Unique events! Including concerts, employee meals, employee activities, pro competitions!
- On site medical clinic with benefits for employees
- Job Share opportunities to work more hours if needed
- Carpool Incentive program
- Ski/Mountain Perks! Free passes for employees, employee discounted lift tickets for friends and family AND free ski lessons
- MORE employee discounts on lodging, food, gear, mountain shuttles AND during the summer on bike haul, golf and other activities
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Excellent training and professional development
- Referral Program
Seasonal Full Time roles are eligible for the above, plus:
- Health Insurance; Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, and Vision Insurance plans (after eligible employees work 500 hours)
- Free ski passes for dependents
- Critical Illness and Accident plans
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 444107