Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
Summary of Job
The Senior Employment Counsel will be a member of the Labor and Employment legal team at Vail Resorts and will be a strategic partner providing employment-related legal advice to various divisions of the company. The successful candidate will have at least 7 years of employment law experience and will be able to handle a wide range of legal questions with practical solutions, communicate confidently and clearly with business clients and senior lawyers, manage competing priorities and thrive in a fast paced and high volume environment.
- Provide legal advice, counsel and support to Human Resources, Employment Investigations, HR Compliance, HR Programs, and senior leaders on a significant and diverse volume of employment law matters including accommodations, discipline, compensation, leaves of absences, meal and rest periods, FMLA, FLSA issues, EEO requirements, social media, separations, independent contractor classification, recruiting and hiring, and policies and procedures
- Understand and distill the practical ramifications of complex legal issues (including regulatory requirements) into concise summaries supporting thoughtful, well-reasoned recommendations and clearly and succinctly articulate the associated risks
- Engage with and manage outside counsel to effectively resolve threatened or outstanding employment litigation matters and establish best practices for prevention of litigation; respond to EEOC and state fair employment agency discrimination charges and other types of employment-related agency complaints
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of legal training to HR and business leaders
- Adhere to and support standards and goals of the company and the legal department
- Other duties as assigned
- JD from accredited law school and active state bar license required
- A minimum of 7 years legal experience focused in employment law, with significant time devoted to advice and counseling; in-house experience with a major corporation strongly preferred
- Demonstrated connection to Colorado, and/or to ski or hospitality industry; local (CO based) candidates preferred
- Creative problem solver with strong organizational and time management skills and ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments
- Demonstrated ability to work under high pressure conditions, meet aggressive deadlines and to successfully handle urgent situations with patience and diplomacy
- An agile and flexible thinker, with the ability to quickly learn new areas of the law and the business
- Must have a passion for promoting a positive, productive culture that furthers the company mission of "Experience of a Lifetime"
- Ability to build credibility quickly and provide strong legal support for complex and challenging business opportunities while positively and successfully managing relationships within diverse groups of stakeholders
- A commitment to personal and professional growth, and receptivity to feedback
- Experience working in a sophisticated and fast paced in-house legal department
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation
- Strong team player with the ability to adapt and work well with a variety of personalities
We offer a variety of career opportunities at our world-class resorts and corporate headquarters near Boulder, Colorado in fields like Finance & Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Legal, Public Affairs & Sustainability, Marketing, Sales & Communications and more. Our corporate team shares both a passion for the outdoors and a drive to re-imagine the mountain resort experience around the world. Learn more at www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 222710