Aspen Skiing Company is seeking a Cost Engineer to join its hospitality division - The Little Nell Hotel Group - to provide cost and scheduling controls for its construction and remodeling projects. The Cost Engineer is responsible for assisting the Project team members, including VP of Development, VP of Design and Construction, Project Manager, and Director of Finance, in all aspects of cost and schedule related functions for the effective management of capital planning, pre-construction, and construction phases of all hospitality projects as further defined below.
General Capital Planning
• Assist in the establishment and management of departmental pre-construction and construction cost control standards, guidelines and objectives.
• Maintain and develop other administrative processes such as critical path planning and cost tracking procedures to ensure proper planning, and construction of assigned projects.
• Positively participate in the operation of The Little Nell Hotel Group resulting in sound financial performance and successful achievement of corporate goals.
• Assist with the development of new project budgets including, consultant and other vendor costs, FF&E costs, infrastructure and technology costs, and construction budgets for new projects.
• Assist Director of Finance to maintain comprehensive accessible registers of financial approvals and project expenditures.
• Prepare project development and construction schedules for review and approval by Executive management team.
• Maintain cost and estimating databases
Pre-construction and Construction
• Prepare and administer vendor and contractor Requests For Proposals, Independent Contractor Agreements, and other work orders.
• Review vendor quotes and proposals for compliance with project goals.
• Performs negotiations of construction contract proposals and bids.
• Review contractor’s schedule of values baseline submissions and assist with Value Engineering and other cost adjustment processes.
• Prepare periodic cost variance reports to track budget changes and project actual costs vs. baseline costs.
• Responsible to control and monitor project total expenditures including review and approval of invoices and claims from suppliers, vendors and subcontractors to ensure that all project expenditures are captured and properly recorded.
• Perform contractor pay application and invoice reviews.
• Work with contractors and external vendors to monitor, control, and coordinate construction and CPM schedules with internal project schedule and goals.
• Develop and maintain monthly cost reports to Executive management team concerning cost, schedule and forecasts.
• Responsible for developing, maintaining and controlling the project schedules during proposal and project executions for construction and procurement/subcontract scopes of work.
• Recommends solutions or recovery plans for schedule/cost impacts or delays.
• Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or an advanced degree in related fields.
• Broad understanding of the development, construction, contracting and project management fields.
• Five to ten years, or more, of experience working as a Cost Consultant, Owner’s Representative, or Construction Manager.
• Proven track record of project oversight with values ranging from $5 million to $150 million, with hospitality-specific experience preferred.
• Strong experience in construction project cost control, scheduling, and estimating functions
• Expert understanding of the application of project controls in the construction environment.
• Ability to provide guidance and development for all stakeholders of the business and project controls functions.
• Excellent computer skills with MS Office products; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.
• Advanced written and oral communication skills to effectively disseminate information.
• Must be able to manage numerous projects and priorities simultaneously.