We can't help but smile when someone says "Sun Bowl." We can show you why. We came for the winter but stayed for the summer. We came for the summer but stayed for the winter. Some days we ski through lunch. Some days, lunch lasts all day. We love rosy cheeks, hot chocolate, chili, and beer. We laugh a little louder.We love to ski when the sun shines. We love to ski when it doesn't. The last run of the year is as sweet as the first. We are Family. We are Fun. We are Sunapee. www.vailresortscareers.com
As of Nov. 15, 2021, Vail Resorts will be requiring all employees across North America to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
The Advanced Cook supervises food preparation and production for breakfast and/or lunch and dinner shifts, and to perform a variety of kitchen management functions, including ordering, inventory control, and assistance in menu planning. In a small restaurant operation, to serve as chef, supervising all food preparation and production and performing all kitchen management functions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understands the proper terms for kitchen equipment/pans and small wares used in the kitchen
- Understands and operates basic cooking equipment such as fryers, pizza oven and kettles
- All of our team members are typically required to wash dishes one shift per week
- Heat or Reheat items for service in accordance with current applicable federal, state and corporate standards, guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, utensils, sneeze guards and guest facing areas of their station in accordance with health and safety standards
- Proactively greet guests and take food orders
- Continually demonstrate a high level of guest service excellence
- Prepare food items in accordance with the station guide recipes including portion control and presentation
- Gathers and portion items ensuring that they are of high quality and serves to guests
- Maintain sanitation, health and safety standards in work areas including but not limited to temperature checks, wearing gloves and proper utilization of sanitation buckets
- Responsible for breaking down workstation, cooling food where necessary in accordance with cooling guidelines and storing in accordance with proper storage and labelling guidelines
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated
- Typically requires supervision from a more senior culinary team member
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Functions as experienced cook with the ability to manage a station or multiple stations maintaining expectations for speed and service
- Capable of teaching others to use all kitchen equipment, processes and procedures
- Oversight of Entry Cooks or Cook I’s in a FSR or several in a QSR environment. Assigns or adjusts responsibilities as necessary
- Communicates with supervisor regarding volume levels and team assignments
- Assists in the control of food and labor costs by eliminating waste and over production
- Makes recommendations for adjusting pars
- Produces small to large batch goods using advanced and full range of classical cooking techniques
- May select recipes per menu cycle, prepare bakery items, receive inventory and prepare meals for customers requiring special diets
- Intermediate to advanced knife skills
- Able to explain ingredients in the menu and preparation techniques
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of the kitchen including stations, menu/ingredients, equipment operation, safety & sanitation and daily operations.
- Ensures all team members are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies and tools
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Understands and can demonstrate proficiency operating more advanced cooking equipment such as grills, steamers, robot coupe, immersion mixers and slicers
- Responsible for basic food preparation tasks, such as cutting up meat and fish, basic knife handling skills, peeling, slicing, chopping, measuring and mixing ingredients
- Prepares necessary ingredients to replenish station according to established par levels
- Ability to follow basic recipe to produce high quality product
- Ensures food is prepared and presented a high level of quality, visual appeal and consistency
- Willingness to support and guide entry cooks in performing their responsibilities
- Ability to butcher chicken, fish and shellfish; cut, trim and bone meat
- Determining pars for next shift and ensuring prep is sufficient. Adjust production levels to meet forecast demands
- Trains new cooks and ensures development of team members through on-going training and effective communication.
- Recognizes team members for successful achievements and contributions
- Coaches team members immediately and professionally to minimize deficiencies and provide encouragement
- Responsible for inventories to enable team members to successfully prepare mise en place
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regard to chilling, re-heating and holding food
- Maintains and reports waste log to supervisors on a daily/weekly basis
- Checks outlet(s) upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety or equipment issues and communicates any concerns to supervisor
- Checks outlet(s) prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, equipment shutdown, proper disposal/removal of food and proper storing and labeling
- Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures and proper storing procedures are observed
- Keeps Supervisors apprised of hits/misses from each shift
- Delegates workload to team members fairly and consistently while continually striving to improve flow of production
- Able to read, interpret, demonstrate culinary fundamentals with sound knowledge of food handling procedures and food ingredients
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 361027