Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
Summary of Job:
The Senior Director of Mountain Operations provides oversight and leadership of all on mountain operations departments: ski patrol, mountain safety, lift maintenance, lift operations, grooming, snowmaking, terrain parks, vehicle maintenance, dispatch, race events, and mountain activities. As a member of the Resort’s senior leadership team, this position is a key contributor in the development, communication and implementation of resort strategies, goals, initiatives, culture and engagement.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As a producer of talent, build high performing teams and develop leaders within the mountain operations organization to improve leadership effectiveness within current roles and to prepare for increased responsibility and succession throughout the enterprise.
- Accountable for development of a high performing, ‘one team’ culture that puts the safety of our employees and guests first.
- Accountable for resort mountain operations vision and priorities in alignment with resort and corporate strategies, goals and initiatives.
- Create and oversee departmental budgets and workforce plans while tracking performance expectations.
- Lead resort employee and guest safety efforts.
- Directly manage the establishment of goals, development plans and the evaluation of performance for direct reports and oversee these processes for the entire mountain operations division.
- Build strong, positive relationships with key internal and external stakeholders outside of direct reports; including the SLT, MOLT, patrol union, community, HOAs, select community boards, and other regulatory agencies.
- Maintain subject matter expert status of mountain operations functions, proactive industry trends and potential impacts on and opportunities.
- Partner with Director of Mountain Planning for creating and monitoring master plan, capital planning and implementation.
- Partner with Health and Safety Manager to create Emergency Response Plan. Train to the plan and act as Incident Commander for emergency situations.
- Ensure proactive maintenance of lift network to reduce lift down time.
- Ensure company records are updated and necessary permits are in place for continued operation.
- Increase operational efficiency and effectiveness through on-going intra and inter-departmental communication and cooperation.
- Actively play a leadership role in Mountain Operations Best Practice Groups.
- Lead the mountain operations efforts with the goal of zero employee safety and employee work comp incidents.
- Lead the effort to eliminate vehicle incidents within the mountain operations team, including reducing use of snowmobiles.
- Prioritize and adapt in a constantly changing business and environmental setting.
- Act as Vail Resorts representative with the local community as necessary.
- Strong learning agility - Enjoys and excels in environments where he/she must tackle and solve complex strategic business challenges and issues—incorporating the newest ideas, technologies, and approaches to business
- A brave, ambitious, and passionate leader who is comfortable in his/her own skin while also demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Out Front
- Anticipates the needs of the business
- Forward thinking around guest experience
- Able to act fast in response to changing dynamics
- Ensure focus is on the most important priorities and work
- Establish authentic connections with others based upon high levels of candor
- Ability to unlock potential of team
- Builds strong relationships across locations and functions
- Creates authentic connections with others
- Inspires trust and aligns stakeholders
- High School Diploma or equivalent with college degree preferred
- 15 years in the Ski Industry, Advanced skiing/riding ability and Crisis Management
- 5 years within Senior Leadership managing multiple departments
- Standard Microsoft Office applications; PeopleSoft and Success Factors preferred
- Effective interpersonal communication skills, written & verbal communication; Strong Public Speaker
- Knowledge of explosives, handling of hazardous materials and compliance of areas of oversight through regulatory agencies.
If you’re hard working and feel exhilarated serving others, you’ll feel right at home in our authentic ski town and world-class mountain resort. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, we deliver an experience of a lifetime to every single guest that visits our mountain town. If you’re interested in moving mountains in your career, come work with us at Breckenridge where you’ll instantly feel at home. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 223267