Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
Job Classification: Winter Seasonal
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Kirkwood, CA USA
As an Assistant Manager, you are responsible for the planning and oversight of day to day operations in the lift department. Your duty is to manage role expectations and personal accountability with safety, customer service and operational excellence. You will supervise the Team Leads and assist with department administration. You will delegate coaching and help to maintain discipline with each team. You will attend Talent Development courses that focus on identifying your leadership traits and improving your management skills. Your performance will be evaluated using the Company’s leadership competencies and measures that rate the success of the department goals.
Kirkwood is a unique mountain. 58% of our 2,300 acres is advanced/expert terrain. We are ranked in the top 10 snowiest places on earth. Due to the amount of precipitation we receive, being a lift operator at Kirkwood can be more physically demanding than other resorts. We work hard but we also shred hard. Passion is an essential competency for our leaders. Please, check out some videos about Kirkwood and carefully read the description below.
- Manage Team Lead performance and provide the necessary support for successful operations.
- Fulfill all responsibilities directing dept. functions –procurement, peoplesoft, discipline, etc.
- Conduct and/or delegate the documented daily safety meetings.
- To oversee proper opening procedure and maze set-up. Responsible for CPTSB, ANSI and Company “Best Practice” compliance at all lift stations within all designated zones.
- Effectively communicate with Team Leads to ensure accurate opening times of the chair lifts.
- Maintain your team’s level of professionalism and standard of excellence according to our guest service expectations.
- Ensure all safety system checks are being done on a daily basis and documented.
- Perform maze, lift, ramp, and personnel inspections daily.
- Comply with and enforce all company policies and procedures.
- Oversee all aspects of Lift Operations training.
- Ensure all Team Leads are holding their Leads accountable with their tasks to provide duty free breaks and lunches according to California law.
- Communicate any deviations from the normal lift operating schedule to ski patrol, guest services, and management immediately. (Ex: Wind hold, delayed opening, etc.)
- Take charge of communication with leadership team to provide accurate information to guests during a lift down time situation.
- Meet guest service expectations and standards as put forth by Vail Resorts to create the best possible guest experience
- Build weekly schedules and ensure teams are staffed sufficiently.
- Train how to use a variety of tools to reshape snow surfaces to specification. Keep track of the department’s inventory and maintain the working condition of our equipment.
- Oversee the inventory and maintenance of all equipment and uniforms necessary to maintain the standards set forth by the resort.
- Encourage a caring, safety culture within your department to achieve the goal of zero work related injuries.
- Use Enablon software to create reports. Follow procedures when notifying Health and Safety and Director.
- Hold Team Leads accountable for the labor costs of their operators and make appropriate decisions to keep labor costs accurate to volume.
- Correctly coach and discipline when needed. Work closely with the Training Supervisor and the Manager to complete all documentation according to HR expectations.
- Communicate problems to peers and directors, while showing initiative in handling routine and emergency matters.
- Make certain all lift terminals are shut down correctly and that all state documents are completed and filed.
- Have the ability to effectively control and coordinate staff in an emergency situation.
- Attend Leadership Terrain courses and department specific management sessions.
- High School Diploma or GED. Possess a valid driver's license.
- Provide your own transportation to adhere to 6:00am snow safety start times.
- Have advanced ski/snowboard ability.
- Be able to lift 50 lbs., climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, stand, walk, push, pull, grasp, feel, hear, see, repetitive motions. Must be able to adhere to an early morning starting time.
- Be able to work up to 10 hours in all winter weather conditions at altitude (7800’ - 9800’).
- Minimum three seasons of previous Lift Operations supervisory experience
- Able to use MS Office Proficiently.
- Comfortable with seeing/hearing/feeling explosions used for avalanche mitigation.
- Winter seasonal position spanning 8 months, September through April 48+ hrs/wk.
- Hours fluctuate during storm cycles to assist ski patrol with avalanche mitigation.
Kirkwood is for those that embrace the big mountain lifestyle and are as passionate about skiing and riding as they are about creating amazing experiences for our guests. Magical, raw, expansive and remote…Kirkwood is the stuff of legend. We’re famous for legendary snowfall, challenging inbounds terrain, backcountry guided tours and premier avalanche education programs. Those that come here come for an adventure unique to Kirkwood! Join our close-knit team working at one of the most stunning alpine resorts in the country. www.vailresortscareers.com
No transportation? Don't want to make the drive? No problem! We have an employee shuttle that runs EVERYDAY from South Lake Tahoe to Kirkwood, free of cost! We encourage all employees who don't want to make the commute themselves to jump on the shuttle, sit back and relax, on their way to work! If you would prefer to drive AND want to make some extra cash, you will definitely want to participate in our Employee Carpool Program! Make up to $25.00 a DAY just for driving your fellow employees to work!
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 222456